Name Changes

Lawyer for Name Changes in Houston & Southeast Texas

There are many reasons someone may want to legally change their name during or as a result of a family law matter. If you have been remarried, widowed or divorced and would like to change your name as an adult, it is a fairly simple process.


An adult name change will require a criminal background check unless it is being made as part of a divorce action. You will need one of the following documents:

  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree (you can also request a name change as part of the divorce process)
  • Spouse’s death certificate

After the name change is completed, it’s important to follow up with all appropriate government offices and agencies to update them. A few examples include:

  • Social Security Office
  • Driver License Bureau
  • Passport
  • Bank Accounts
  • Wills & Other Estate Planning Documents
  • Mortgage Company & Banks
  • Credit cards & other Lenders

Name Change for Minor Children

As part of a divorce or other action relating to a child, it is common for a parent to request a name change. This is a process that requires the agreement, or at least the notification, of all parents, guardians and conservators.

Once the name change has been granted, you can use the court order to change other documentation such as a Texas ID card, birth certificate and social security card.

Take the First Step Today

Contact Our Office for Name Change Help. Typically name changes are requested as part of a larger legal issue.
If you have questions about the name change process in Texas, contact Dan Kirby today.